Saturday, February 11, 2006

North by Northwest is a true classic

I don’t often watch a lot of old time movies, but I have recently had an operation and as such lacked the will to change the channel. I started watching North by Northwest an Alfred Hitchcock film starring Carey Grant. I am ashamed to admit I had never before seen this classic, and I was happy to find it live up to it’s bill. A fabulous, brilliantly crafted, taught thrill ride. Cary Grant plays Roger Thornhill, a businessman who is mistaken for a spy by the bad guys. Thornhill is kidnapped and almost murdered, although he escapes and winds up at a police station. Much to Thornhill’s surprise the bad guys have cleaned up all of the evidence of their organization, and Grant’s character looks insane. He is later framed for a murder, and must spend the rest of the film running from both the authorities, and the bad guys who think he’s a spy. Thornhill is desperately trying to locate the man for whom he is mistaken, and his adventures get increasingly intense and confusing (in a good way) with each twist and turn. I wont give away any more of the plot, although I’m sure I’m one of few people around who hadn’t seen this masterpiece before. The movie is very tense, as is consistent with the Hitchcock legend. All of the actors are phenomenal, especially the beautiful Eva Maria Saint as Eve Kendall. If you are like me, and you never look up old films, you may want to change your ways for this flick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home